Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Upcycling

Upcycling is a new and improved version of recycling, its the bigger, cooler, older brother. According to wikipedia, upcycling "is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value." Those of you who know me well, know that I'm not a die-hard environmentalist or tree hugging hippee. However, my time in Seattle has changed me (hopefully for the better). What I used to throw into the garbage, I now sometimes give a 2nd look and think, hey, I could make something cool with that. Don't worry, I'm not making modern art with banana peels and eggshells, those go into the composter. 
Enough chit chat, a few weeks ago, I spied some wood grain contact paper at Freddie's, and while I think it would look pretty dated and hideous in a drawer, it definitely looked like it would have some potential in other areas, I just wasn't sure what. Then I realized (a few weeks later), it would be perfect for making this empty cookie tin I have sitting around avoiding the garbage, into a s'mores fixin' box.
Before: 
All full of yumminess!!
Then sitting empty, waiting for me to decide its fate ;)
After:
All ready for summer and some mallow roasts!

Last, a quote from "Sandlot" to explain exactly what a s'more is.
Ham: Hey, Smalls, you wanna s'more? 
Smalls: Some more of what? 
Ham: No, do you wanna s'more?
Smalls: I haven't had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing?
Ham: You're killing me Smalls! These are s'more's stuff! Alright now pay attention. First you take the graham, you stick the chocolate on the graham. Then you roast the 'mallow. When the 'mallows flaming... you stick it on the chocolate. Then cover with the other end. Then you scarf. Kind of messy, but good!

3 comments:

  1. You are officially awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so creative! i am super impressed...nice job renae!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME smores tin! Love the dialog. (grin)!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!